Our English curriculum is designed to develop every child’s ability to communicate with others and understand the world around them. Reading, Writing and Speaking are the fundamental skills required to access all education.
Our English curriculum is rooted in carefully selected, high-quality texts which provide excellent models for developing the core English skills required in all year groups. We have chosen core texts which are relevant to our pupils and which provide a diverse range of settings, characters, themes and genres. We aim to promote in our children a love of literature and we give them the opportunity to explore a wide variety of themes, ideas and values.
Our English curriculum enables children to:
- Enjoy a wide range of fiction and non-fiction texts that help them to connect with the world around them.
- Write clearly, fluently and accurately in English, showing flair and creativity where appropriate.
- Develop detailed ideas in writing, adapting language to audience and purpose.
- Use a wide range of appropriate and ambitious vocabulary.
- Articulate and express their ideas, views and opinions about a wide range of topics clearly, confidently and respectfully.
- Produce work of which they can be proud.
We are fortunate to have a thriving library in school. Our school librarian works with the English Lead and school staff to provide a programme of literary events throughout the year, which include visiting authors and theatre visits.
Click here for more information on the English National Curriculum.